Obsessions and compulsions, or obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), are anxiety related problems, which can be successfully treated with hypnotherapy.
Obsessions are (usually) unpleasant and intrusive thoughts which the sufferer cannot keep out of their mind. Common obsessions include:
- Unwanted, disturbing thoughts such as sexual or violent urges.
- Fear of contamination.
- Fear of causing harm to oneself or others.
- Need for everything to be perfect.
Compulsions are purposeful actions that the sufferer feels compelled to do repeatedly. Common compulsions include:
- Constant cleaning for fear of contamination.
- Repeatedly checking things, such as the tap is turned off, or the door is locked
- Repeating numbers or phrases endlessly under your breath.
- Repeatedly touching and arranging things into neat order.
OCD affects about 2% of the UK population, and occurs equally in males and females.
Hypnotherapy can reduce OCD symptoms by lowering the underlying anxiety, enabling the sufferer to take back control. Hypnotherapy is used to retrain the mind to lower the importance attached to unwanted thoughts, leading to more balanced thought processes. Compulsions are reigned in by taking back control of the imagination, learning to distinguish between the real and the imagined.
"Hypnotherapy with Keith helped me to be much calmer. During a difficult period of my life it gave me a chance to clear my head. I felt as if a weight had been lifted after a session and because I felt calmer the traditional elements of OCD were much easier to deal with. Longer term it has taught me some important strategies for coping with OCD. The self hypnosis that I have learnt really helps with some of the frenetic elements of OCD." - Sara
Legal Disclaimer - results may vary from person to person
HypnotherapySelect for help with...
Fear Of Public Speaking
Fear of Flying
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Nail Biting/Hair pulling